Shoe sniffers start working for eBay’s authentication program
According to eBay, the very first eBay authentication center is now open to facilitate “Guarantee of authenticity” on sneakers, which means it’s time for professional shoe sniffers to get to work.
Thanks to eBay’s latest program, Authenticity Guarantee, the most popular sneaker brands sold on eBay UK for over Â£ 150 will be fully vetted and verified by an independent team of industry experts – Sneaker Con. When a sneaker purchase is made, the seller ships it directly to eBay’s authentication center for a full, multi-point physical inspection by independent third-party inspectors. Following this rigorous evaluation, the sneakers are sent by expedited shipping to the buyer.
To lead the way for this new initiative, eBay UK has appointed its own sneaker leader, Wahaaj Shabbir, as the sneaker category manager. Wahaaj Shabbir was also recently appointed a member of eBay’s Shadow Board, a role established to help bring even more innovative ideas into the business. Their role is to provide information and advice to the UK management team on issues such as customer trends, sustainability and workplace culture.
EBay UK sneakers by numbers:
- A pair of sneakers sold on eBay every 9 seconds in the UK last year
- Brits can buy over half a million luxury sneakers on eBay anytime
- The most expensive sneakers bought in the UK to date are the Dior Air Jordan1 AJ1 High OG Gray sneakers, which retail for Â£ 6,990.
- The three most popular types of sneakers in the UK are the Jordan 1, followed by the Adidas Yeezy Boost 350 V2 and the Nike Air Max 90.
âEBay is the original marketplace for sneakers and we remain one of the biggest channels connecting sneaker buyers and sellers, with our community of basketball players growing dramatically each year. This decision to launch the Guarantee of Authenticity in the UK is significant. We’ve seen sneakers become an asset class for many – a new way to store your money as they rise in value over time. We want enthusiasts to know eBay is there for them when looking to invest in sneakers and we’re here to help sellers grow their business.
– Rob Hattrell, Head of eBay Europe